Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Guy at the Gas Station

There was this guy in a suit at the gas station filling up his SUV.

He was just standing there with his arms folded.

Staring at me. Watching me.

Not sure if he was admiring me, or thinking I was crazy. Ask me if I care.

I had ridden Max to work almost every day for the past 3 weeks. In very hot weather, too. But as long as you are moving, 110 degrees doesn't seem so bad , does it? At least it only takes me about 15 minutes to get home. And Thank God for Mesh Gear.

But I needed gas this morning and there was that guy filling up his SUV. I rode up and he was already there. Arms folded, watching me ride up.

I can do this pretty quickly. I don't even take off the helmet, just pop up the visor. Had my wallet in my jacket with my card ready to go, no need to even open the top case. Key out to open the gas cap. Done. Selected the mid-grade fuel, entered my pin #, popped the hose in my tank. I fiddle with the angle of the hose to maximize the fill. The guy in the suit is still watching me, arms folded.

A couple of minutes later, I'm done. Pop the gas cap back on. Key back in ignition, press start,
Vroom Vroom, I maneuver Max off the stand and start to move off.


As I ride away I notice the "suit" is still watching me, arms still folded, gas pump still pumping away in his SUV.

I wondered about him as I rode to the office. What was he thinking. We made eye contact, but I could not tell what his mood was. I thought for a minute he was maybe impressed that I rode a scooter and was doing my little part in saving planet earth by not using as much fuel as other people. Helping out with greenhouse gases, you know.

But then I thought, maybe he was thinking that I was an idiot to ride a two wheeled vehicle in such ridiculous hot weather. And he might be right about that. I thought about him riding on into work, in his air conditioned SUV, cold air blasting in his face, wearing his suit and tie. Thinking about all the other suited people he would interact with today. Lots of them riding their SUV's to work, cold air blasting as they wore their suits and ties.

But then I thought as I said before:

"I don't really give a S&%T what he was thinking"!

He just doesn't know. 

He doesn't know the feeling of freedom! He can't really appreciate how cute that blonde is, in the Honda next to you at the stop light that you just pulled up to. He doesn't smell the aroma of the bakery you just passed by. He doesn't see the color of the trees, how really green they are. He can't imagine the exhilaration of blasting down a country road with no traffic on a beautiful day. He's got windows between himself and the rest of the world while he's in that SUV. As Pirsig says, those windows are like TV screens that insulate you from the real world around you.

He just doesn't get it.

But I do.

Ride on and Carpe Diem my friends!

Jimbo

PS. I bet he spent a lot more than $5 at the pump this morning! Man, He really doesn't know!

..

12 comments:

  1. On my road trip I talked to a number of other drivers at gas stations and they often commented on the cost to fill up. In one case, their RV cost over $500 to fill up. I usually just agreed with them and mentioned that this is just one benefit of riding. No negative comments from anyone...

    Who knows what this guy was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, I used to have an old 6 cyl Ford pickup truck that really wasn't terrible in the gas mileage department. But it had 2 gas tanks, over 35 gallons in total if I remember correctly. At todays prices it would have been a ridiculous amount of money to fill up both. Max hold about 1.9 gallons, my Subaru about 14 gallons. I really consider it fun to get gas on the scooter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish fuel tanks were bigger. I like seeing 450 miles to empty in the car on a road trip. Commuting I need fill the Bonneville at most every third trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure he was thinking: "dammit, I could be on two wheels, screw the heat...that guy just filled up in less than a minute and this POS gas guzzler of mine is not even halfway full...."

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, I have often wondered the same thing. I suppose it's meant to save space, but..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dom, Perhaps you are correct. One thing for sure, he never smiled, wasn't having fun. I didn't mean to make him feel bad, just needed gas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the biggest gifts of riding has been the sky. I never noticed it much when I drove. Now it is my constant companion. What a show it puts on for me everyday.

    Yep, you are spot on, it is amazing all the things you notice when those windows on the world are replaced by the world itself.

    And, I share the pain about the itty-bitty gas tanks.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keith, Seeing the sky is a good one. At times I look up at birds or interesting cloud formations. There were some interesting thunderheads off to our east last evening. Pretty spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cpa3485/Jimbo:

    the tank on my bike is fairly large. On a trip I can go a long way before I have to fill so I can't complain. I can't imagine having a small tank and have to fill up all the time. I think if I were filling up you could come and go and I would still be filling

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bobskoot, I can go maybe a little more than 100 miles if I have been traveling at highway speeds before I have to fill up. That can be a bit tricky in areas around here, especially small towns that may only have 1 gas station, and maybe no premium at that. It has happened to me before. A bit bigger tank might be nice.
    BTW, that new profile pic of you is awesome!

    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jimbo/cpa3485:

      Jim, it came from here, taken by Trobairitz

      http://trobairitztablet.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-lighter-side-of-imbc-2012.html

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast
      My Flickr // My YouTube

      Delete
    2. Jimbo/cpa3485:

      forgot to mention that I can ride "almost" 300 miles on a tank. My tank hold about 23 litres (nearly 6 US gallons)

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast
      My Flickr // My YouTube

      Delete